Star-SF 0.6 is available
- Get source code: git
Star-ScatteringFunctions is a C library that provides abstraction to describe scattering effects at a surface through Bidirectional Scattering Distribution Functions (BSDF), microfacet distributions and fresnel terms, and in a volume with phase functions. The main target of Star-SF are programmers that have to evaluate or sampled these scattering effects.
The Star-SF API makes no reference to the implementation of the aforementionned data structures. In addition, it publicly exposes their interface. Consequently, the user can not only switch the BSDF, microfacet distribution, fresnel term or phase function without any impact on the application source code, but also he can provide its own implementations of these structures while still relying on Star-SF in its simulation code.
Beyond the legacy specular and lambertion reflections, Star-SF implements several scattering functions, from the ones simulating glossy reflections through microfacet distributions to BSDFs that handle specular effects of an interface between dieliectric media. For volumetric scattering, Star-SF provides built-in implementation of the Henyey & Greenstein and Rayleigh phase functions.
- Add the phase function API allowing the user to define, sample and evaluate a phase function.
- Provide built-in implementation of the Henyey & Greenstein, and the Rayleigh phase functions.
- Add the pillbox microfacet distribution.
- Update the version of the RSys dependency to 0.6: replace the deprecated
[N]CHECKmacros by the new macro
- Fix the Blinn microfacet distribution.
- Change the microfacet distribution API to no longer require the unused outgoing direction parameter.
- Use and require Star-SamPling version 0.5.
- A BSDF is no more a composition of BxDFs: the caller writes directly the comportment of the BSDF without intermediary abstractions. As a result, built-in BxDFs become built-in BSDFs and the BxDF data structure and functions are removed from the API.
- Fix the thin-dielectric material to ensure the energy conservation property.
- Add the
ssf_specular_dielectric_dielectric_interfaceBxDF. This scattering function could be built by combining the
ssf_specular_transmissionBxDFs into a BSDF but such combination does not ensure the energy conservation property due to weaknesses into the BSDF interface.
Copyright © 2016-2018 |Meso|Star>. Star-ScatteringFunctions is free software released under the GPL v3+ license: GNU GPL version 3 or later. You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; refer to the license for details.